Licensing Executive, Penguin Ventures
Penguin Random House UK
London, United Kingdom
Type of Employment
About the Company
Penguin Random House UK is the UK's largest publisher and Ventures team works with the best Children's brands, from Peter Rabbit to The Snowman, Spot to Ladybird books.
Stories have always been at the heart of Penguin. For many years, these stories and characters have lived mainly in books, but now they’re providing magic and wonder for all kinds of different consumer and digital products, TV series, films and live events. That’s what we do! Welcome to the Ventures team! The Penguin Ventures team are looking for a confident, hands on and commercially aware individual to join them as a Licensing Executive to support the business globally. You will be passionate about supporting the team but will also crave ownership of your own projects and have a willingness to get stuck in with just about anything! This is an ideal time to join the team and contribute your energy, vision and support to the group performance. The Ventures team is a crucial part of the overall Penguin Random House commercial business and long-term vision.
We will expect you to:
- Support the sales team by creating and maintaining databases, spreadsheets and tracking documents to support business needs (licensee lists, net sales analysis, retail listings documents etc).
- Assist the brand team in the preparation of targeted pitch presentations and meetings for potential licensees, partners and retailers.
- Work with the brand team to keep sales materials, presentations, and details of product ranges up to date.
- Obtain updates (rate of sale, marketing activities/plans, forecasts etc) from licensees for sharing internally and with other partners.
- Create research documents and undertake competitor analysis via retail visits, trade press research etc.
- Gain market knowledge and competitor knowledge for UK and key International territories such as Benelux, France, Germany, Japan, Australia, USA.
- Handle day-to-day business enquiries from potential partners and general licensing enquiries.
- Assess incoming licensing inquiries and permission applications.
- Lead and manage screenings, clips and permissions across the portfolio as well as for orchestral performances for The Snowman.
- Co-ordinate licensee meetings and events as required.
- Support the sales team in prepping for meetings, trade shows and business trips.
- Regularly update existing partners on brand activities.
- Liaise with brand team to assist with consumer and trade PR activities.
- Liaise with internal teams such as legal, contracts, finance and publishing.
- Eventually take on your own category or territory to grow and expand that business area commercially.
You will have:
- A positive, motivated, can do attitude and flexible approach to your work and be keen to jump in whenever needed.
- Excellent administration skills and the ability to balance and prioritise work coming in
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively within a team.
- Proactive and solution focused with high attention to detail.
- Demonstrable ability to research and source ad hoc information independently.
- Ability to adjust to a fast paced and ever changing business environment.
- An understanding of the licensing business or prior experience in a commercial environment.