Penguin Children’s Books wins Children’s Publisher of the Year
Penguin Children’s Books won the prize for Children’s Publisher of the Year last night, at the Bookseller Book Industry Awards. Judges declared Penguin to be “the best children’s publisher in the business at the moment” with an amazing all round performance which made the win difficult to argue against.
The judges identified the following key strengths at Penguin:
- Regained position at the number one children’s publisher
- Sales up 18% by value, in a market that fell by 3%
- Digital innovation rewarded with number one apps and e-books
- An incredibly successful year-long campaign for Puffin’s 70th anniversary
- An impressive commitment to reading with Ladybird’s Read it Yourself campaign
Francesca Dow, who was recently made managing director of the division, said on collecting the award: “It is an honour and a privilege to receive this award and I accept it on behalf of everyone at Penguin Children’s Books. This award is a testament to the talents and commercial drive we have in the team. But of course the award is also for all of our authors and creative partners who are so key to our success.”
Penguin Children’s Books were commended for embracing digital brands such as Moshi Monsters as well as creating a range of successful children’s apps including the number one app for Spot Goes to School with one judge explaining: “They are expanding into the places where the kids are”. In addition the publisher has increased rights and co-edition sales by 9% and 20% respectively.